Tuesday 16 February 2010

Eighth Update

Well I discovered a problem last night. It turns out that the roll bar isn't tall enough for me. I am 6'6", and sit about 870mm from the ground to the top of my head. The roll bar sits about 960mm from the ground to the top, however there is still the 25mm bottom rails, seat support rails, seat runners, seat and helmet to take into consideration, meaning that if i were to roll, bearing in mind the harness won't keep me 100% secure in the seat, then it means my head will most likely hit the ground. Which is not something I want to happen.

So i have now decided to sell the roll bar and get a full roll cage fitted. I have had a few quotes from companies, saying it will cost around £450-£500 for a full custom cage installed, which to me isn't a bad price, for that extra piece of mind and extra safety as the car will now have side impact support.

This morning I went out and made some progress on the back end, the bottom body work supporting rail is now in place, so it allows me to see the size of car, which is surprisingly small.

Later on in the week I hope to finish the back end. I am going down to Cleveland tomorrow to visit Saturn Sports Cars, drop off some stuff as well as pick up the remainder of the chassis plates I needed, but couldn't make without spending more money, time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment